Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Happy Holidays!

It's almost Christmas so I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Hopefully 2015 will go smoothly for everyone.

On an art related note, I took a short break from the usual sci-fi and fantasy work to finish up these two paintings. The Statue was part of a commission, while the portrait was a little experiment in a gouache method that I would like to keep experimenting with. It was certainly different than oils, and I had to keep in mind the gouaches particular habits that oils don't have. Particularly the part where they re-activate and lift off the board, and how the paint dries different than it looks while wet. In the future it was recommended that I try to use the paint more transparent to preserve the under-drawing, which helps to keep the character and painting structure better. I think that is some advice I will take to heart as I move forward with the next.

Harrison Ford
12" x 16"
Gouache on Illustration Board

Statue of Liberty
18" x 24"
Oil on Canvas


No comments:

Post a Comment